Sunday, September 1, 2013

A new year, a heat wave and a David Shannon inspired anchor chart

The first six weeks of school remind me of labor and delivery.  You forget how tired you are and how much it hurts (my feet mostly) so you just keep doing it again every year.  By the end of the year you have forgotten about those first six weeks and how hard they are.  You really are giving birth to a new group of responsible, book loving, math loving, writing loving, kind, safe and respectful school citizens.  It takes a special kind of crazy to be a Kindergarten Teacher.  And I love it.  So I am really crazy...................about the kids!

Anyway.  I always use David Goes To School by David Shannon to kick off rules and expectations.  As a class we talk about what kind of rules we want to have and why.  Sorry the picture isn't better and I wish I was a better artist but this works for us.

They came up with the rules.  The "Big 3" at our school is "Be Safe, Be Responsible and Be Respectful".  This is part of our school wide PBIS program.  Once they got rolling they came up with some great ideas.  They really liked the picture of David getting the gold star so they wanted me to draw that one.  That was hard!

 
The start of the year has been easier this year than last year.  The first year in a new grade is so hard.  This year I feel like I got a better start on expectations and routines than I did last year and it is already showing. 
 
I do not recommend moving during the first two weeks of school.  Maybe that is why I was so tired!  Moving and starting school is a tough combo and I hope to never do that again.
 
I hope everyone is having a great start to their year.  I am going to be much better about posting to the blog this year.  Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend.  I will include this last picture to tell you what it is like here in Missouri.
 

Take notice of the 108F in the right hand corner!  Enjoy the rest of your long weekend!


 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment